Start your resignation notice
First of all, it is a question of recording the date of your resignation. No law exists on the surrender of it. You can resign orally or in writing and according to your own forms. But only the writing will allow you to prove later the date of your start of notice.
To be able to start this one without possible dispute, you can send your resignation by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt.
What is the expected notice period for resignation?
There is no universal rule regarding the length of your notice period.
Its duration can be defined by several instances:
- the law defines the duration notice for certain specific professions such as sales reps, journalists or childminders;
- collective agreements define by sector the applicable rules on the period of notice;
- your employment contract can also specify your notice period. It cannot then be less advantageous than the rules defined by law or collective agreements.
You can negotiate your notice or request an exemption in certain cases:
- in the event of pregnancy or parental leave;
- in case of business creation.
It is possible to agree with your employer on the date of your departure. In this case, he must confirm the agreement in writing to notify the end of your employment contract.
If your notice has been shortened with the agreement of your employer, you are available to work in another company before the end of the legal notice.
How is the notice period carried out?
During the notice period, your contract is running as normal. You keep the same working conditions and remuneration as usual.
Remember to check your collective agreement for the specifications concerning notice, because depending on the sector, you are entitled to time dedicated to job search, even in the event of resignation.
If you refuse to perform your notice, your employer can claim compensation from you and file a complaint with the industrial tribunal.
What specificity according to the contracts?
All contracts provide for a notice period. However, generally, this is shorter in non-executive statuses and in fixed-term contracts.
Professionals at your service:
- Lawyers or lawyers specialized in labor law
- industrial tribunal service